Managed Security Monitoring Services vs In House Monitoring

alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com
Tue Feb 25 16:25:40 PST 2003

hi ya jeff

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Jeff with The Big Yellow Suit wrote:

> I'm working in an environment in which security is ..um..deficient,
> and I'm going to be tasked with putting together a plan to
> tighten things down, and I'm considering between outsourcing
> the job of intrusion detection versus doing it in house.

by my definition,  an outsourced "security and ids" is already
a breach of security ... period ..
	- unless that outfit carries e/o insurance for say
	enough to cover damages and losses from a breach
	from hackers and other un-permitted activities
	( insurance like what counterpane carries in the $xxxM
	( when they do some security work

> The primary limitation in doing this is likeley to be brain
> cycles.  Quite simply the staff is stretched far too thinly,

you really do not want "brain cycles" to do montioring ( very bad idea )

but you really do want brain cycles to define the security policy
and how people and machines get to do certain tasks

-- everything should be automated ... not brain cycles ..
	- brain cycles goes on vacation
	- brain cycles gets sick
	- brain cycles go home after 8 hrs
	- brain cycles gets distracted for other things
	- brain cycles are only as good as they wanna be

- a good hacker/cracker just needs a few seconds/minutes
  to do what they need ... ( but depends on what it is that
  we're trying to prevent too vs receover from said activities )

> they are not historically very good at the daily care
> and feeding of complex beasties.  I envision any sort of
> inhouse system going in with a bang and then languishing
> for lack of updates and passion.  I've seen it happen too
> many times.

fairly easy to install host ids and network ids
	- lots of tools out there

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/IDS
	( similarly for auditing tools and monitoring tools )

	-- i prefer my custom tools that md5 all the stuff
	i care about

> For those reasons I'm leaning heavily towards outsourcing.
> The obvious candidate is Counterpane, but I'd like to get

counterpane carries e/o for encryption technology etc
and not sure if they also have the same for ids type of security

> people's feelings about this, and I'd also like to scare up
> a list of services doing similar things.  Any help and or
> horror stories would be appreciated.

c ya
alvin