Good selection of laptop drives?

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Thu Feb 20 13:00:10 PST 2003

> Sorry but I didn't catch that you wanted laptop.  Duh.  Disk Drive Depot
> doesn't carry anything in laptop drives over +/-1.5 gig.  CSC is their

Toxic waste. :-)

> parent company and a commercial supplier.  I just did a search for a
> laptop drive and bought from CDW but Central Computer also had some in
> stock. 408 248 5888.

We also use Zones for a lot of stuff (www.zones.com, formerly Multiple
Zones i.e. PC Zone, Mac Zone, etc.), and they treat us well.  But that's
mail order.  Still, they can often ship same day.

I do find that rotational speed is very important.  I myself paid a
significant premium for an early 5411-rpm IBM Travelstar back when the
ordinary drives were 4200 rpm.  Big difference; no regrets.  The 48GH is
what we're buying these days, IIRC.

http://www.storage.ibm.com/