Grammar and Munging [was Re: Paid Sun Patches]

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Thu Feb 20 12:42:30 PST 2003

Quoting Danny Howard (dannyman at toldme.com):
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:18:14PM -0800, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> Hey, Chuck, have you read http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
> ?  Apparently the BayLISA list doesn't munge the Reply-to: headers, it
> is only your posts that set Reply-to: to the list.  You prefer to be
> flamed in public and not private? :)
>
> * opts not to "fix" his e-mail given the potentially intersting
> discussion among SysAdmins that may ensue.

No, I find that many (most) people, even system admins, send back
to ALL, not just to the list.  I'm on the list,  I don't want to
get it into my INBOX as well.   As threads grow, I find myself
getting messages replying to things I no longer care about.

You want to send me a message, then spent a moment and look at the
headers.

It's a discussion list, I set (actually mutt does the work for me)
the reply-to header back to the list.  It's my right.  It's not
the list doing it.

Sometimes, I'll Bcc the originator, but that's just to ensure that
if s/he, like me, doesn't read his baylisa folder regularly, that
s/he gets to see it.  Bcc so that when someone does Reply-To of
THIS, they dont' get two.  See?  I'm nice.

chuck