Meeting this week (Thurs, 7:30-9:30p)

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Tue Feb 18 15:01:41 PST 2003

Hi everyone.  In a fit of imperfect sysadmin'ing, my atjob was eaten by
some dev work I've been up to.  That's what I get for being an engineer
and a sysadmin in the same week :)

For Those Who Don't Read Subject Lines . . . . . . . .

	BayLISA, the Bay Area Large Installation System Administrators
	February 20, Thursday
	officially starting at 7:30 pm

Who and What  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

	Joe Little, Stanford University
	Security on a University Campus: the Story of SULinux

	Some of his colleagues may also be present.

	R&D Labs are a special challenge for system administration
	as the very defenses you need can be perceived to harm the
	research effort.  Hardware is mixed at least and often
	new and unusual.  Joe will describe the choices that he and
	David Brumley made while developing a hardened disttribution
	that's worth studying.

Where . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

	10500 N. De Anza Blvd.    Cupertino.
	http://www.baylisa.org/locations/current.html for some maps...

	If you are coming via the 280 Fwy:  exit, turn south for a
	*very* short distance, Mariani is a light.  turn left there and
	*immediately* turn right into the parking lot with the blue
	apples.  Go all the way around the building to the other side.
	Park where convenient but that's where the entrance door to
	our audittorium is.

	If you are coming by way of 85, there's two options.  The
	recommended one seems to be get back on the highway, go "north"
	to the nearby 280 junture, then exit the 280 at De Anza and use
	those directions.  If you're stubborn, need to go by groceries,
	or just like this way, then you want to *keep going North* until
	you pass Stevens Creek, pay attention as you pas the Donut Wheel
	coffee shop, and enter the parking lot with blue apples on your
	right.  If you've reached Mariani you went too far, but just
	turn right and make your way into the parking lot.

	Count thou not to Infinite, the Loop is way too far.

	For anyone using map engines, please doublecheck that it puts your
	mark NORTH of Stevens Creek, and not by very far, either (a couple
	of lights, in driving it).  The "S.De Anza" mark wouldn't be terribly
	close to Apple.

New Members Are Always Welcome . . . . . . . . . . . .

	Our meetings are free and open to the public.  It is our
	membership that funds bringing in the great speakers every
	month.

	We have an ongoing special.  If you bring someone who joins
	as a member and has never been a member before - at all - then
	your own membership will be extended by one year.

	It's been asked, so I mention - yes, outside food and drink are
	fine. We're bringing a snack spread and sodas as usual.
	Please try to be neat.  Thanks in advance.

A bunch of us like to go out afterwards for some sort of dinner, drinks
and more conversation at one of the local latenight restaurants.

-* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/ *-