Which Red Hat?

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Sun Feb 16 19:59:36 PST 2003

At 2003/02/16/16:17 -0800 Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Are you constrained to use Red Hat, or is this personal preference, or
> what?  It might be helpful to know the context of your question.

My requirements are:

  . decent security (whether out of the box or wrangled)
  . support for my hardware
  . lots of docs available on the net

Red hat is not a requirement.  Having rtfm'd a bit, and having
discovered that openbsd supports my pci ide controller, my scsi
card[1], and my network cards, I might go with openbsd.  I had
thought that there would be buttloads of docs on the net for red
hat.  But there may well be sufficient docs for openbsd, too.  More
rtfm'ing necessary...

David

[1]  At least, I *think* it supports my scsi card.  dmesg reports:

       scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.4
               <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter>
               aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs

     http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html says:

       Adaptec AHA-[23]94x[W] cards and some on-board PCI designs
       using the AIC7870 and AIC7880 chips.

     It's the "some on-board PCI designs using the AIC7870 and
     AIC7880 chips" (specifically the word "some") that makes me
     wonder.  Anyone know of a source of info that would say
     definitively one way or the other?
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***