Which Red Hat? - fw

alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com
Sun Feb 16 17:03:01 PST 2003

> Quoting David Alban (extasia at extasia.org):
>
> > I want to do a clean install of Red Hat on a P133 box w/scsi.  I want
> > to put two network cards in the box, with one for dsl and one for my
> > internal network.  The box will be a firewall.

for a fw...
	- use a "secure distro"....
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/distro.gwif.html#hardened
		( some secure distro might be better than another )

	- if you use a convenient rh distro ...
	( dont use rh out of the box... as you'd probably be reinstalling
	  again in the near future if you have lots of script kiddies
	  that likes to play with your boxes

	- less probelms w/ rh-8.0 w/ all the patches

	- lots of to do  and dont do .. regardless of which distro
	and the "to do" is the same for any/all distro

more fw stuff
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/FW/
	( it probably wont work for some of you...

	and yes... netsol is having db problems right  now it seems
	w/ freshly expired domains... normally you have 30-45 days
	before one disappers ..but not "today"
 	( i've been ignoring those 3mon or 6 months ahead of expiration
	( junk mails... till its too late :-0

	- it'd probably be a good idea to check your domain expirations

c ya
alvin