Help! DriveReady SeekComplete Error

jimd at mars.starshine.org jimd at mars.starshine.org
Thu Feb 6 18:16:05 PST 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 04:06:25PM -0800, alvin at maggie.linux-consulting.com wrote:

> hi ya

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, David Alban wrote:

>> Greetings!

>> On my thinkpad laptop (running SuSE linux), I observe:
>>
>>   $ cat /var/log/messages > /dev/null
>>   cat: /var/log/messages: Input/output error

>> And at the end of /var/log/messages, I see:

>> Feb  6 11:07:03 tomkagai kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCom
>> plete Error }
>> Feb  6 11:07:03 tomkagai kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError
>> }, LBAsect=11431971, sector=4295264
> > Feb  6 11:07:03 tomkagai kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector
>>  4295264

  I would bring the system up in single user mode and run e2fsck -c
  on each of the filesystems.  This should (transparently) run the
  badblocks program and cause fcsk to mark any badblocks (such as
  4295264) so that the system will refrain from trying to use them.

  Other than that I would look at replace that hard drive at your
  earliest convenience (recognizing that you may be stricken with
  considerable *inconvenience* if you don't find a "convenient" time
  to do so soon).

--
Jim Dennis