[baylisa] Matching envelope "From" header using SpamAssassin

David Alban extasia at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 4 14:44:17 PST 2003

Greetings!

Found a solution before sending the question.  Thought I'd share the
solution.  The solution was to use:

  header FOO_BAR_MSG              ALL =~ /^From\s+owner-foo-bar

Also, it occurs to me that I could have used procmail to examine the
envelope From header and had procmail insert a header like:

and then had SpamAssassin do the test:

  header FROM_FOO_BAR                 exists:X-From-Foo-Bar

David

P.S.   FYI, the "header" related rules are documented in:

         http://spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

--- Original question

Greetings!

I'm a member of email list foo-bar.  I want SpamAssassin to deliver
all foo-bar messages to my inbox, and not to the spam trap.  I need to
add a rule for this.  The problem is, the only thing that reliably
identifies this particular list is the envelope From header.  The "To:"
and "Cc:" headers inside the message can't be relied upon because folks
sometimes bcc the list.

I can't figure out how to come up with a rule for this.  I tried:

  header FOO_BAR_MSG              From =~ /owner-foo-bar/
  describe FOO_BAR_MSG            Message to the foo-bar list

But this seems to want to examine the "From:" header inside the message.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks!
David
--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.
                                 ***