Wrapping Your Own Transformers (was: Re: UPS Batteries (again))

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 22 16:46:45 PST 2003

Wolfgang,

My brother could probably build a custom power supply that would do
everything you want it to, for around $100 plus materials ... if you're
interested, let me know.

Basically, transforming direct current is very similar to transferring
power with gears. In the case of gears, you can adjust torque by varying
the gear ratio. In the case of direct current, you adjust the voltage by
varying the wire wrap ratio. Once you understand this, it is child's
play to wrap cores to exactly the voltage desired.

And wire isn't that expensive; drop into Radio Shack and tell them you
want to wrap a transformer, and if you find a knowledgeable salesperson,
they will lead you directly to the coils of fine copper wire and you can
see for yourself that it's not that expensive.

Regards,

-- richard

--

Richard Childers / Senior Engineer