802.11g and dvd

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Mon Dec 15 12:38:43 PST 2003

>         - differences in various wireless stuff
>
>                 http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Wireless/#Sniffers
>
>         - note that WEP is NOT secure ... ( its been cracked )

Definitely, and that point needs to be chanted in deep sonorous
tones with a tenor wailing away a few octaves higher.  All the
while the message should be flashed in huge blinky
ten meters tall scrolling around the entire edge of a city
block.

I am a little confused as to why vendors are trying to graft
a security protocol specific to wireless ethernet.  It seems that
this would be an application for IPSec.   (Of course that
does assume that you're running IP, but it is not a wire
replacement protocol like bluetooth.)

It frustrates me that the home vendors keep getting close
to the mark, but missing it.   Many vendors seem to
have all the necessary parts in one box:  VPN, Firewall,
wireless hub, and a wired hub.  The problem is how the
pieces are connected.   The wireless hub should be
isolated behind the firewall, and you should only be
able to get out of the wireless net by setting up a
VPN connection.

The Netgear FVM318 seems to have everything wired
up in the right way, and you can use IPSec instead
of WEP.   I'd love to hear if anyone has actually looked
at the performance and integrity of this device, or
knows of any similar all-in-one home boxes.

-jeff