When a customer burns you.

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Mon Dec 1 13:16:38 PST 2003

Quoting Michael T. Halligan (michael at halligan.org):
> I've recently quit a project due to a customer's inability
> to pay me on time.  They still have a $15k outstanding debt
> to me (billable hours to me, and billable hours of subcontractors
> whom I've already paid).  They have money, that's no doubt, so
> I'll probably have a good leg to stand on in court.  it's sad
> I have to do that.
>
> They informed me they were looking for a new contractor to
> "finish the job", and have already called up one of my subcontractors
> trying to get them to go in and do the work.  My guys aren't
> that stupid, but how can I inform other contractors about the risks
> of working with this company? What channels are available?

You likely want to have a chat with a lawyer.

You're way over any Small Claims.
When I was in film and doing smaller computer stuff
(couple days here and there), we'd use "mechanics liens"
with customers that were slow (read 6 months) in paying.
They come from, clearly, Mechanics who'd do work on a piece
of machinery and not get paid.

As for informing about risks, you want to steer clear of perceived
slander/libel issues which could cost you in the long run.  If they
contend they aren't paying you due to missed deadlines, then telling
someone that they aren't paying could be construed, by some lawyer,
in ways that could harm you and your case.