regarding huge spikes

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Aug 22 11:26:32 PDT 2003

>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:05:15 -0700
>From: richard childers / kg6hac <fscked at pacbell.net>
>To: baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: regarding huge spikes

>I've found that turning off ICMP replies in the firewall brought the
>traffic to 135 to a halt.

For any particular ICMP message type?

(IMO, blanket cutoff of all ICMP is unlikely to be a good idea, as it
breaks too many useful things -- such as MTU discovery & traceroute.)

For all that, I could adjust my firewall to not bother reporting the
tcp/135 packets it drops on the floor; I already do that for certain
types of traffic I don't care about (and for the reporting of which
merely serves to make the haystack bigger, while I'm looking for
needles).

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
If you want true virus-protection for your PC, install a non-Microsoft OS
on it.  Plausible candidates include FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
Solaris (in alphabetical order).