Anyone else seeing a huge spike in attempts to (ab)use loc-srv (135/tcp)?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Aug 21 06:14:38 PDT 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

> Is this, perhaps, yet an additional manifestation of the virus-du-jour
> for Microsoft-based machines (and thus, additional evidence that they
> ought to be firewalled off from access to any resources about which a
> reasonable person might care)?

Without answering the question I'll note that I've been receiving almost
1,000 bounces or we-couldn't-deliver-your-message-coz-it-had-a-virus
messages per day on my personal account for the last few days due to the
Windows virus de jour.  All the original messages are of course
forgeries -- but the bouncing MTAs don't know that.

"Tiresome" is not quite the word.

--
J C Lawrence