1U Server Combo

John Martinez rolnif at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 12:02:06 PDT 2003

Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> I picked up a VA-Linux 1U for under $600.  2CPU, its now got enough
> RAM.  I had pretty timing.

Bought a couple of these when VA got out of the hardware business.

Nice machines. Really LOUD (as stated). You'll need low profile memory.
The one thing I don't remember is whether it had two power supplies. I
don't *think* they did, but it's not important to me that they have
redundancy (home machines).

I'm running FreeBSD 5.0 on one and Solaris 9 on the other. Great machines.

The newer Sun machines (V210 and V240) look really nice, especially with
their updated LOMs.

-john