Anyone have an APC Smart-UPS cable handy?

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Apr 18 15:34:29 PDT 2003

So I have this spiffy refurb APC Smart-UPS, but one of the things I
neglected to acquire was their funky proprietary serial cable.

Since I'd actually like to use it as a big battery with a built-in
charging system (rather than as a backup power system), this was a
serious oversight. Specifically, my intended application is to power my
CPAP machine on a train ride. On Wednesday.

I'm not sure if there's a lead to clip for the built-in speaker, but
I'd rather not go to such lengths unless I had to.

I'm sure some sysadmins can answer a question not in the manual,
specifically: If I set it not to beep when it's on battery power, then
turn it off (but it has sufficient power to keep its memory), it's not
going to re-set?

If so, then I'd be appreciative if someone had such a cable, if I could
arrange to use it and appropriate software (PowerChute, something else)
long enough to set it to be a less obnoxious UPS. One where I (and
others) could actually sleep. :)

If not, well, if anyone knows of a spare cable, that'd be a start.

Choice number three would be buying a cable locally -- initial searches
have not shown any source for cables.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.