BayLISA next Thurs (4/17) 7:30 pm

Heather Stern star at baylisa.org
Thu Apr 10 13:20:17 PDT 2003

 Hello folks.  Not this week, but the following one, will be the monthly
 meeting of BayLISA, the sysadmins of the Silicon Valley and greater Bay Area.

 We'll be hearing from ............. Len Shustek
					(http://www.johnsflowers.com)

					Chairman
					Computer History Museum
					(http://www.computerhistory.org/)

 The topic is ...................... A Romp Through the Early History of Computers
					-or-
				     50 years of computing

 The Date: 17 April 2002		The Time: 7:30 pm
 The Place: Apple Campus "De Anza Building Three"
		The lot with blue apples
 		Directions at www.baylisa.org/locations/current.html

 Membership specials ................
   Make a special point of telling your friends and bringing them along.
   If you're a member of BayLISA, and you bring a new member - never been
   in BayLISA before - who joins at the meeting, we will update your own
   membership for a year.  What a deal.

   This is only good for Student memberships if both members are students.
   Bring your qualifying Student ID.

   Corporate memberships are of course also gleefully accepted, anytime.
   Together, our members and our corporate sponsors help fund bringing
   in great speakers, and occasional special events like hosting hospitality
   parties at USENIX conferences, or the mid-Summer BayLISA Picnic.

 Request For Cookies? .............. tell us what you think
   What do you folks think of the snacks layout we have been providing?
   Please let us know.

   This month we will have catering by the wife of Stweart Hersey, one
   of our board members :)

 Speaker Abstract and Bio ...........

   Intel and Microsoft did not invent the computer -- there was computing before
   PCs. This talk will highlight some of the colorful people and strange
   machines from the days when computers were big enough to walk inside, not
   small enough to wear.

   This is a rich 50-year history that needs to be preserved. You will also hear
   a little about the ongoing project to build a proper Computer History Museum
   in Silicon Valley.

   Len Shustek's educational background includes computer science degrees from
   Stanford, Physics from Polytechnic University in Brooklyn, amd having been
   assistant professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon.

   He co-founded Nestar Systems Inc in 1979 (an early producer of client/server
   systems), Network General in 1986 (noted for "The Sniffer(tm)" and other
   network analysis tools before merging with McAfee Associates and PGP,
   becoming Network Associates).

   Shustek is now semi-retired and serves on the boards of several high-tech
   startups and three non-profit organizations, including the Computer History
   Museum and serving as a partner at VenCraft, an "angel" centure capital firm.
   He teaches occasionally as a consulting professor at Stanford University.

-* Heather Stern * Arch (secretary) BayLISA Board * http://www.baylisa.org/ *-