systemic problems?

Jeff with The Big Yellow Suit jeff at drinktomi.com
Sat Nov 30 02:28:45 PST 2002

Rob Windsor said:
> I have ATT at HOME here in the DallasTX area.  I've had massive outage
> problems for about a month.  The problem is rather bizzare -- running
> snoop(1m) on the firewall displays standard "ARP who is..?" chatter,
> including traffic from my defaultroute node (beyond my firewall), but
> yet during moments of outage, I can't even ping the thing.  When the
> network is happy, I can ping that "defaultroute node" address.

What kind of layer one connection is betweeen the firewall and
the default route device?  If the devices are connected by 10bT
then this might be a duplex mismatch problem or an auto-negotiation
conflict.  Or it might be a flakey wire.  Then again it might
be the freak bogon emitting turkey carcass in your refrigerator.
In that case you should pick up some bogon sinks.  Several gallons
of cranberry juice usually does the trick.

Now I must get some sleep.

-jeff