systemic problems?

Rob Windsor windsor at warthog.com
Sat Nov 30 01:29:42 PST 2002

I have ATT at HOME here in the DallasTX area.  I've had massive outage
problems for about a month.  The problem is rather bizzare -- running
snoop(1m) on the firewall displays standard "ARP who is..?" chatter,
including traffic from my defaultroute node (beyond my firewall), but
yet during moments of outage, I can't even ping the thing.  When the
network is happy, I can ping that "defaultroute node" address.

The outages come'n'go.  I was down most of Wednesday, but up all day for
turkey-day.  Today, I was out for about an hour in the afternoon.

I'm not sure which is more gruelling, "just coping" with the outages or
attempting to breach the level-1 tech support to catch someone with a
clue.  Of course, their first recommendation is going to be "did you
reboot your PC and power-cycle the cable modem?", which doesn't fix the
problem (network has come back many times already without needing to
reboot) and is a rather detailed process considering my setup.

Rob++

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:24:30 EST, verily did "Rich Holland" write: