it's getting ugly out there again!

Strata Rose Chalup strata at virtual.net
Sun Mar 24 13:05:17 PST 2002

Take a look at the latest snake in the grass from the copyright
industry-- it's the SSSCA all over again, plus extra.  The broad
and comprehensive technology provisions would affect many of the
components we use (starting with disk drives, but even touching
things like compact flash cards, PCMCIA storage cards, etc).  The
legal provisions are an even bigger kettle of fish, and will change
the way that any network/user base is administered, plus opening
up (as I understand it) personal civil/criminal liability for
sysadmins.  Yeek.  I hope I'm wrong on the last part especially.

I've taken the liberty of sending Cindy Cohn of the EFF a request
for her or someone else from the EFF to come do a 10-15 minute
briefing on this as a pre-meeting chat for April or May.  Here's
some info:

http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

and