domain-name registrar slamming is on the rise...

Strata Rose Chalup strata at virtual.net
Sat Mar 23 14:23:12 PST 2002

I've heard on some other lists that many folks are getting "renewal
notices" from Verisign/NSI even if they are registered with various
OpenSRS registrars.  These are USMail paper forms, which will say
they are an expiration notice, and that you must renew now to avoid
service interruption for your domain.

Buried in the fine print, often on the back, is "by signing, the
registrant agrees to the Verisign Domain Transfer Agreement...".
When phone companies do this to trick you into changing long-distance
service, it's called slamming.  If you've gotten one (or more!) of
these notices, here is where to complain:

>ICANN Registrar Complaint Form (hosted at InterNIC)
>http://www.internic.net/cgi/registrars/problem-report.cgi
>
>VeriSign Registry Customer Service
>info at verisign-grs.com
>Phone: 703-948-3200

cheers,
Strata

PS- I have no affiliation with ICANN except as a disgruntled member-at-
large (don't go there!), and none with Verisign either (ditto).  OpenSRS
rocks, and my affiliation with it is solely as a satisfied customer of
one of the dozens of OpenSRS registries out there.