Future of .org is to be decided soon

Chuck Yerkes chuck at snew.com
Mon Jul 15 17:58:35 PDT 2002

Quoting Jim Hickstein (jxh at jxh.com):
> Well, this about sums it up:
>
> --On Monday, July 15, 2002 02:45:35 PM -0700 "Mark C. Langston"
> <mark at bitshift.org> wrote:
>
> > I'd recommend BayLISA steer clear, as an organization.
>
> As a non-profit, we are not permitted to engage in any political lobbying
> (as I understand it).  If this isn't political, it's near enough to raise
> doubts.

Um, not really.  802.11's (or whatever the nonprofit des is :)
aren't permitted to lobby congress/feds in certain ways.

That said, the homeless non-profits certainly are involved at city
hall levels and the like.

ICann, it can be argued, has not shown that it's responsible to any
governmental influence and therefore it has nothing to do with federal
lobbying.

Does the baylisa org want to get involved in this?  Certainly
and the information being passed along is often useful.  More directly?
Doubtful.