Password Manipulation Through Database

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Mon Jul 15 14:13:49 PDT 2002

Chuck Yerkes said:
> LDAP.
> Even LDAP slowed down and backed by a SQL database.  Dunno the state of
> support for Informix SQL within OpenLDAP 2.1, but the interface API is
> pretty generic (see also section 1.6 of:
>    http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/guide.html
> ).

I was about to say, "use LDAP if you can."  OpenLDAP is nice, but
if you can use the iPlanet LDAP server then it can take care of
most of the thorny access control issues for it.  The ACL scheme
that they implement is incredibly powerful.  Unfortunately I do not
believe that you have a choice of database backend when using
the iPlanet server.

[I believe you get large # of users iPlanet license by default
with a Solaris OS license, but I may just be imagining things.]

-jeff