Password Manipulation Through Database

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Mon Jul 15 09:52:16 PDT 2002

LDAP.
Even LDAP slowed down and backed by a SQL database.  Dunno the state
of support for Informix SQL within OpenLDAP 2.1, but the interface
API is pretty generic (see also section 1.6 of:
    http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21/guide.html
).

I'm not 100% sure on this now, but previous to the back-
modules introduced in 2.1, if you're using SQL to back an LDAP
server (and for speed everyone actually queries a slave server,
not the one bound to slow SQL), it's IMPERATIVE that only LDAP
manipulate the LDAP exposed data.  The LDAP server has no way
to "know" that a password has changed, or the mail address is
different.  But with SQL you can at least get the plusses of
having various non-LDAP friendly information associated with
data that's living in LDAP.

Solaris 8/9 are quickly depricating that blecherousness that is NIS+.

Quoting David Dull (qkstart at ix.netcom.com):