Solaris boot question

Rob Windsor windsor at warthog.com
Fri Jan 4 13:24:45 PST 2002

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 13:53:18 PST, verily did Hal Pomeranz write:

>> I have an old Ultra1 that has a 10Mbit le0 interface on the
>> motherboard and a 100Mbit hme0 interface on an SBUS card.  I would
>> like to jumpstart the machine off of its hme0 interface rather than
>> the default le0.

>> I realize that this is going to require my figuring out the device
>> path for the hme0 interface so that I can change the devalias for
>> the "net" boot device.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to figure
>> out the correct device path -- i.e., the thing that looks like
>> /sbus/ledma at e,8400010/le at e,8c00000 (which is the device path for
>> the le0 interface).

> Turns out I'm sitting next to another member of this email list (John
> Detke) who knew the answer-- "check the output of the dmesg command".
> This is the correct answer, and I'm happily booting off my hme0
> interface now (aka /sbus at 1f,0/SUNW,hme at 0,8c00000).  Thanks, John!

In the OBP, aside from "show-devs", you can also "cd" and "ls" around in
the device tree and then "pwd" to get the full path once you're convinced
you've found what you want.

Rob++ (another former Synopsoid, "hi Dave, Stu")
--
Internet: windsor at warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob at Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_