Cables: to label or not to label....that is the flamewar

Sean Berry berry at housebsd.org
Mon Aug 26 16:10:59 PDT 2002

Digital Island (colo provider) required that we label our cables at both
ends with what they were coming from and going to, and it was very handy.
Unfortunately, that really only works when you've got a fairly static
environment.  Their documentation system was great though, and would have
quite easily scaled to cover the entire data center without any
modifications.

In any more fluid of an environment, it's easier to decide whether to
label cables as cables "patch-10(foot)-(number)132", or to label them for
what they do "sparky hme0".

If you're buying new cables, I agree completely with Jim: they're easier
pre-labeled.

--
Sean Berry works with UNIX, especially Solaris/SPARC and NetBSD.
His opinions are not necessarily those of his employers.  (650) 281-6610