rack related issues

jhoney at flash.net jhoney at flash.net
Sun Apr 14 08:43:46 PDT 2002

As much as I am peeved with the people who run ebay based on their
non-enforcement of their own spam policies, I cannot deny the fact that
their venue of making purchases can save you major simoles.  You can
drill into it from a number of directions and ultimately specify that
you only see auctions/products in your area.  Beyond that:

    - look for somebody who has a 'lot' of auctions
    - anybody with more than 5% of negative feedback is to be avoided
    - pay close attention to any negative feedback they have had in the
last 12 months
    - pay attention to shipping
    - if shopping locally, you'll pay sales tax but usually avoid shipping
    - confirm with seller, if local, that you can arrange to pick up the
product
    - allow several days for seller to reply to any questions you pose
    - don't bid on anything if you haven't gotten your important
questions resolved to your satisfaction
    - despite what ebay sez, I almost always try to reserve my last
bidding for what they call 'sniping'.  Get on a high bandwidth line and
be prepared to submit your best & final bid in the last 20 seconds of
bidding
    - to understand how the price changes in the last 20 minutes, look
at some auctions that have closed recently and pull up the bid history.
    - I typically am opposed to bidding on anything that has a seller's
reserve.

Good hunting.

===