Theoretical vs Practical Knowledge

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Dec 13 13:53:40 PST 2001

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:42:36 -0800 (PST)
> star  <Heather> wrote:
>
> > I find that documenting my work helps a lot, even if it's just a
> > cheap README - the me at noon is not the same me as the one who
> > hasn't had coffee yet, or the one one a good coding roll at 10 pm
> > or so, or the one trying to get something un-broken in the wee
> > hours before the madding crowd returns at 7:30 to 8 am.  YMMV but
> > even wimpy docs are often better than none.
>
> Aye.  I like using a WikiWiki for that sort of thing.  Easy to post
> to, easy to search, keeps things tracked and organised, easy for
> others to reference and add to, etc.  I like TWiki in particular for
> this sort of thing (twiki.org) as it does revision and access
> control, and installs with a base set of TWIki'd documentation.

hmm, yes, but you can't leave a twiki lying around in the /etc directory
for the next sysadmin to find 6 months later, either, and local policies
may include material that shouldn't be on a public website, especially one
the spiders may hit.

Tho having an internal twiki, from which your corporate tech writers compose
various guides... hmmm.  Good to keep things, but the times when you need
notes the most is when the poor beast won't or shouldn't hit the net.  So
you need README files too.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078