Cable Tags/Cable labels

Rich Holland holland at guidancetech.com
Thu Dec 13 05:18:21 PST 2001

> The only thing I ever saw that came close to being satifactory was due
> none other than the legendary Arnold deLeon.  He found (or maybe
created)
> a supplier of Cat-5 cables with _serial numbers_ on them, the same at
both
> ends.  The numbers also encoded the length, IIRC.

They were the heat-shrink or clear tape kind, with the label under the
plastic.  You can do the same thing with a regular white label and some
scotch tape, but that tends to wear off over time once the tape loses
it's stickiness.  The labels we had at Synopsys were much more
permanent.

IIRC those cables were also jacketed, so you could pull them backwards
through a bunch of other cables without worrying about snagging the clip
and ripping it off.

Rich Holland
ex-Synopsoid