Theoretical vs Practical Knowledge

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Dec 13 04:30:52 PST 2001

>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:28:55 -0800
>From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+baylisa at snew.com>

>Well, obviously you mount the mailq noatime and
>you set syslog to stop fsyncing (many  modern syslogs
>allow this, sun's doesn't).

Or tell syslog to go scribble on some other machine altogether (which I
believe Sun's *does* permit)....  :-}

>I have a boss now who is infamous to the people to came after
>him for "describe all the options to ls." It's an icebreaker.
>When a "sr system admin" manages to list 4 and stop then you
>know s/he's faking it.  The sr. people know that it's pretty
>large.

I think my response to that would likely be "For a complete list, `man
ls`; off the top of my head, it's going to depend on whose "ls" we're
talking about, but some usually-encountered options are ...."

>And yeah, coming from the era of NSF funded connections,
>when I get nervous I transpose those at times.  Hell, my
>film background has caused me to talk about SMPTE protocols :)

:-}

Cheers,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.