Theoretical vs Practical Knowledge

Chuck Yerkes chuck+baylisa at snew.com
Wed Dec 12 23:28:55 PST 2001

Well, obviously you mount the mailq noatime and
you set syslog to stop fsyncing (many  modern syslogs
allow this, sun's doesn't).

I have a boss now who is infamous to the people to came after
him for "describe all the options to ls." It's an icebreaker.
When a "sr system admin" manages to list 4 and stop then you
know s/he's faking it.  The sr. people know that it's pretty
large.

And yeah, coming from the era of NSF funded connections,
when I get nervous I transpose those at times.  Hell, my
film background has caused me to talk about SMPTE protocols :)

Quoting J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu):