Theoretical vs Practical Knowledge

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Wed Dec 12 17:50:02 PST 2001

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Michael Grey wrote:
> Last thoughts; it is not how much you know, but knowing where and how to
> find the RIGHT answer (and impliment it) that counts.

One of the most technically competent managers I ever had (actually,
scratch that -- he was _the_ most technically competent manager I ever had)
would start off technical interviews by saying something like "It's not so
important that you know the answer to these questions -- but you need to
know where you'd find the answers to them."  It's how I've always conducted
tech interviews since then.

He should still be around -- Alberto Begliomini.  He was a BayLISA board
member until recently, I believe.  Great guy.

-roy