Theoretical vs Practical Knowledge [was: Re: Opportunity for Usability Evaluation]

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed Dec 12 18:05:49 PST 2001

>    I have to respond to these e-mails.
>
> 1) As long as I have been on this list. I say this has got
>    to be very noisy in the last week.
> 2) I have interviewed folks with bachelor and master degrees from
>    Cal and other schools. My finding is that because they have a
>    degree, does not mean that they can take over a major critical
>    system.
>    Especially  "book learn" knowledge.
> 3) I will take anyone with working knowledge (5 years or more) over
>    anyone who just graduated from college. Now that does not mean
>    if a person had the working knowledge before entry to college.
>
>  This is my personal opinion.

Hmm, so what I'm hearing is, you would for example (if my skills applied
to your open req) hire me happily right now, but if I took a couple of
years of college you'd demote me to "new grad" ?  [Plug:  I'm a consultant.
Ask me for my rates privately, if you know anyone who needs Linux and Free
Software training.]

I think the matter is clear:  ability to go through college is one thing.
Ability to learn computing skills is another.   They're really not very
well related to each other - you learn different things.

...And ability to apply them in a practical manner is yet another, which
neither degrees, nor "# years of experience" are able to describe.  That's
why we do interviews, no?

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078