[Baylisa] Do you Cloud or Run your own?

Roy Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Sat Jan 17 09:28:39 PST 2015

On 1/17/15 12:17 AM, Rob Markovic wrote:
> Well, it doesn't have to be a physical server.. virtual one still has
> similar issues management wise.
>
> It seems you prefer root and manage it yourself.

this is where we get into discussions of what 'cloud' means :)

There's a host of issues I don't need to worry about when I'm running on
a virtual machine other people are responsible for.  Chief among them
are power, cooling, and hardware failure.

But I wanted to be able to run my own software (this was originally
built so I could monitor my parents' DSL line, and is still largely only
used for that).

-roy