Checking on DNS secondaries

Robert Hajime Lanning robert.lanning at gmail.com
Sat May 21 12:49:25 PDT 2011

ps. I run my lanning.cc email server from home on my comcast business
cablemodem.
and I get this "(reason: 550 5.0.0 <baylisa at baylisa.org>...
comcastbusiness.net needs a working abuse contact to send mail)"
for both baylisa and svlug.

On 05/20/11 22:44, Rick Moen wrote:
> What do folks use to check up on DNS secondaries?
>
> My nameserver does master nameservice for a user group's domain (scruz.org).
> A few days ago, I discovered that _all four_ secondaries had flaked out:
> Two reIPed and didn't tell me, one shut off scruz.org service and didn't
> tell me, one ceased all DNS service and didn't tell me.  I found and fixed
> the problems, but monitoring also seemed called for.
>
> Output follows of my quick hack, an e-mailed report from a cronjob in
> /etc/cron.weekly/, followed by the cron script itself.  However, does
> anyone use something better?

I run the script below (that I originally created to monitor slave
replication.)  It can be run via cron to give you a daily/weekly report.

http://lanning.cc/pub/dnscheckserial

And this was to check DNS GTM consistency:

http://lanning.cc/pub/dnscheck

--
And, did Galoka think the Ulus were too ugly to save?
                                         -Centauri