Checking on DNS secondaries

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Sat May 21 10:10:05 PDT 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 10:44 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> What do folks use to check up on DNS secondaries?
>
> My nameserver does master nameservice for a user group's domain (scruz.org).
> A few days ago, I discovered that _all four_ secondaries had flaked out:
> Two reIPed and didn't tell me, one shut off scruz.org service and didn't
> tell me, one ceased all DNS service and didn't tell me.  I found and fixed
> the problems, but monitoring also seemed called for.
>
> Output follows of my quick hack, an e-mailed report from a cronjob in
> /etc/cron.weekly/, followed by the cron script itself.  However, does
> anyone use something better?

I would think there would be at least 1 log watching script/pkg available for Linux that would be able to roll this up in a daily or weekly general status email.  Something that would show you zone transfer errors.  Doing a quick google for 'logwatch zone transfer error' indicates that logwatch would likely do what you need.
Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                      http://www.cryptomonkeys.org/~louisk

Making life more interesting for people since 1977