BayLISA this week: Short Topics + FreeNAS 8

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 13 10:58:57 PDT 2011

Hi all,

A reminder of this week's BayLISA general meeting.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 7:30pm
LinkedIN, 2029/2051 Stierlin Ct (end of Stierlin), Mountain View, CA

If you are attending, please RSVP at

 	http://www.meetup.com/BayLISA/events/16472356/

so we can plan meeting space, chairs, and refreshments. Remember to sign
in when you get there, by putting the Meetup tag with your name on it, a
business card, or a blank card with your name on it, into the card box.
We'll have a drawing at halftime for some fun giveaways.

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

About this meeting:

We will open with Short Topics, or "Short but Cool." A few 10 minute
presentations on various topics by (and of interest to) our members. Live
demos or hands-on opportunities are very desirable. The fewer slides you
have, the better.

On the agenda so far:

     * Reminder to silence your cell phone/laptop
     * Force 10 bare metal provisioning demo
     * Arista Networks vmtracer demo
     * Logstash, with Jordan Sissel

Our headline presentation for June is a demonstration and discussion of
FreeNAS 8, the latest version of the FreeBSD-based SAN/NAS platform for PC
hardware and heterogeneous networks. In addition to a demo of installation
and configuration, James T Nixon III of the FreeNAS project will
demonstrate networking features, volume management, sharing protocols, and
additional services and features. He will also be discussing "the Joy of
Django Development on FreeBSD" and will end with questions and answers.

About the speaker: James T Nixon III is a developer in the FreeNAS
project, member of the PC-BSD Team, and Webmaster for iXsystems.   He
spends his time tinkering with PC-BSD desktop usability enhancements,
Django, and Joomla.   He recently helped organize and MC the MeetBSD
California conference and volunteers at the FreeBSD booth around the
world. When AFK, James is usually playing the drums and watching
documentaries.

BayLISA thanks iXsystems for sponsoring James's presentation, and
refreshments for the meeting. iXsystems, Inc, formerly known as BSDi, is
an employee owned and operated maker of Linux and BSD servers and storage
systems based in San Jose, California. iXsystems has long supported the
FreeBSD, PC-BSD, and Slackware Linux communities.

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

We're still asking around for a new board member for the BayLISA board of
directors. However, if you haven't been asked and are interested, talk to
any board member at the meeting (look for our green BayLISA nametags) or
reply directly (not group reply) to me for more details. We have an
opening for appointment through the November meeting/election, at which
time you may run for re-election if you like.

If you have any suggestions or questions about anything BayLISA-related,
feel free to drop me a note. I look forward to seeing lots of you on
Thursday night.

Robert Novak
BayLISA Secretary/Cheerleader