how far have mac's made it into large installations?

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Wed Apr 27 14:34:30 PDT 2011

8-4E9D-B56F-314C7F90951A at kanga.nu> <20110423024116.GO94296 at evil.alameda.net> <4DB47D85.6040202 at cisco.com> <4DB4C38A.4050507 at jxh.com>
To: Jim Hickstein <jxh at jxh.com>
Sender: owner-baylisa at baylisa.org

On Apr 24, 2011, at 5:42 PM, Jim Hickstein wrote:

> On 2011/04/24 15:44, Steve Acheson wrote:
>> yeah, and iTerm on OSX does it too.  The problem is that those of us
>> multi-button mouse X11 weaned users understand efficiency in the UI.
>> Select in one app, move the mouse, paste.   I constantly forget that =
FF
>> doesn't do copy-on-select and end up pasting something else in my =
target
>> window.
> I got over focus-follows-mouse on Mac OS X during Public Beta -- =
though this thread did remind me of the mental struggle involved; the OP =
has a point about that.=20

Everyone here talks about focus-follows-mouse as an all-or-nothing =
interface feature.  OSX is a combination of focus-follows-mouse and =
click-to-focus.  Actions that modify the contents of a window are =
click-to-focus, and actions that are non-destructive (e.g. scrolling) =
are focus-follows-mouse, but the focus-follows-mouse operations don't =
alter window layering.

I'm actually quite partial to this approach as it lets me read from =
multiple reference windows while maintaing my primary focus.  It works =
really well for writing.

I'm also very happy with with usage of the multi-touch trackpad as the =
primary input device.  While I found single touch trackpads annoying, =
you'll have to pry my magic trackpad out of my cold dead hands.

-jeff=