Reminder: BayLISA meeting: THURSDAY April 21, 7:30pm, package management

Robert Novak secretary at baylisa.org
Mon Apr 18 16:05:10 PDT 2011

Hi all,

=== GENERAL MEETING ===

I'm pleased to announce that Philip Hollenback and Jordan Sissel will
be speaking at this month's BayLISA general meeting.

It's THIS THURSDAY, April 21, at 7:30pm. We're actually not changing
buldings after all; we have a different space in the 2029 Stierlin
building (same one as we've met in for a while now).

* Phil Hollenback: In-Flight Mechanics

Phil Hollenback will be reprising his Practice And Experience Report
from LISA '11, In-Flight Mechanics: A Software Package Management
Conversion Project. Phil works for Yahoo! and is also actively helping
the sysadmin community by participating in the 10k Serverfault
Challenge for which he's passed the halfway mark.

* Jordan Sissel: fpm (Effing Package Management)

Jordan Sissel will be talking about why you should build your own
packages, and presenting his software for doing so, fpm. Jordan is a
hacker in San Jose who spends weekdays coding on his front porch for
Loggly. Spare coding cycles are spent on varied open source projects.
(We will also be welcoming Jordan back in June for a live demo of his
Logstash software)

Loggly (www.loggly.com), Jordan's employer, will be supporting the
pizza and beer efforts for this meeting.

There will be a small raffle with some interesting prizes, and of
course you must be present to win.

Please RSVP at http://bit.ly/hyszfA so we can plan for seating and
refreshments. Alternately, you can email rsvp at baylisa.org if you can't
access Meetup.

=== BAYLISA BOARD MEETING ===

The board of BayLISA will meet before the general meeting on Thursday.
If you're interested in getting involved with the board of directors
or otherwise getting closer to the operations of BayLISA, you're
invited to attend. Contact me personally to RSVP for the board meeting
so we can make sure you can get in (the board sometimes meets in a
different space from the general meeting, as there are fewer attendees
for that part).

=== ANNOUNCE LIST ===

We have a baylisa-announce list for, well, announcements. It's been a
bit idle lately, but I'll be starting to use it again for meeting
announcements, and other infrequent announcements of events of
interest to BayLISA members. Feel free to send announcements of
interest to the membership to me and I will post/aggregate them. We
also should have a space on the website for these announcements soon.

If you are already on baylisa-announce or baylisa@, you will get
baylisa-announce messages and need do nothing more. Volume should not
exceed 1-2 messages a week, on average.

If you are not, and have had this message forwarded to you... or if
you want to get low-volume announcements on an alternate address, feel
free to subscribe to baylisa-announce through majordomo.

=== UPCOMING MEETINGS ===

We have Brendan Gregg, author of the upcoming DTrace book, speaking at
the May 19 meeting. Details/RSVP at http://bit.ly/gHIyFy

The June 16 meeting will feature short-but-cool presentations by Doug
Gourlay, Jason Dearborn, and Jordan Sissel. We will also be welcoming
James T Nixon III who will demonstrate FreeNAS 8 and talk about Django
under FreeBSD. Refreshments courtesy of iXsystems.  Details/RSVP at
http://bit.ly/hU6zKq

=== THAT'S IT FOR NOW ===

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions... feel free to drop
me a note directly or email blw at baylisa.org

Thanks, and happy April.

Robert Novak
BayLISA Secretary/Cheerleader