BIOS update via USB fob using KNOPPIX?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Oct 1 13:43:29 PDT 2010

Feedback: after a certain degree of encouragement, I performed the BIOS
update from the KNOPPIX environment.

I wasn't able to place the image on the fob -- it's a bit old, and I
wasn't able to write to it -- so after I booted KNOPPIX, I had it get a
DHCP leace & I used scp to copy the image from my desktop machine to
/tmp, used su(8) to become root, invoked the executable, then just
followed the instructions.

And it worked.  :-}  (Well, as far as updating the BIOS.  The BIOS
upgrade didn't resolve the "hang on kernel probes" issue, so I'll bother
one of the FreeBSD lists about that.)

Thanks for your help -- you know who you are!  :-)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.