Filtering baylisa at baylisa.org in Gmail?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Nov 3 15:08:39 PDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 02:51:59PM -0700, Matt Harrington wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM, David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> > There are plans to start migrating mail service to a new machine soonish,
> > so there may be other changes at some point.
>

> Good to hear.  If you're taking suggestions, GNU Mailman appears to work well.

While I will be available as a resource for the migration and any
conversions from Majordomo, I will not be leading the effort.  At the
end of the process, I expect to have retired as postmaster at baylisa.org.

As for Mailman: for the tiny number of lists and miniscule volume
@baylisa.org, that might work.  My experience administering Mailman for
FreeBSD.org has, however, left me with a very jaundiced view of Mailman
and just about everything associated with it.  (The FreeBSD project has
well over 100 technical mailing lists.  A couple of years ago, I tried
running the "daily" job of rebuilding the search indices; it took over
29 hours.  An attempt the following day (almost immediately after the
first was finished, actually) also took over 29 hours.  This was on a
4-core Opteron, IIRC.  We've given up on ever using the
Mailman/pipermail archives for searching, and still use the same
WAIS-based search that we used with Majordomo: it runs for about an
hour, once/week.  In addition, Mailman list creation is a classic
illustration of a race condition, apparently by design: it is necessary
to create the list (in a state where it could receive traffic) in order
to configure it.  I consider this fundamentally broken by design.  I'll
stop now; I don't really have time to spend on this.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.