AppSense (tonight's) talk

Robert Harker harker at harker.com
Fri May 21 11:04:25 PDT 2010

It was a good talk even though it was market speak and widoze.  They take an
interesting approach to virtualization by storing the users environment on a
per application basis and restoring it when the app is started again by the
user.  X windows and window managers do something similar with dot files.  So
you could get similar functionality with NFS mounting home directories.  I got
  the feeling though that their tools did a better job of it.  And as Guy
mentioned at the talk the centralized administration tools allowed it to scale
to much larger environment.

Their reporting tools looked useful.  I would be slick to have a tool that
could show you how much cpu time an app was using across a group of hosts.  I
know the information is there with mrtg, cacti, top, etc. But not with a
simple to use interface.

RLH