Non IRC based live chat for collaboration?

Daniel Rich drich at employees.org
Wed May 5 11:27:08 PDT 2010

Is there still an objection to IRC if you run your own server instead of
using something like freenet?  You can authenticate the connection and
run the session over SSL if there are security concerns at that level.

We have been using IRC on our own private servers at work for quite some
time. With authentication (in our case against the same LDAP servers as
e-mail and logins) and a channel server you can control who has access
to which channels as well as control what is logged.  We ended up with
inspircd and anope after a bit of research, but you can do this with
most of the servers currently available.

--
Dan Rich <drich at employees.org> |   http://www.employees.org/~drich/