Non IRC based live chat for collaboration?

Rowan Littell rowan at hovenweep.org
Wed May 5 11:04:05 PDT 2010

I suspect Google has something along those lines; I have not
really checked.  Where I work, we use jabber (specifically Openfire -
www.igniterealtime.org), and while the default mode for that is one-to-one
instant messaging, you can very easily create chat rooms for multiple
people to hang out in (and you can set room permissions, history, etc.).
Openfire in particular is very easy to install and set up, and other
servers are also pretty straightforward.

   --rowan