SPARCstation 5s -- free to a good home

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Jul 30 20:18:37 PDT 2010

On the off-chance that someone might actually have a use for something
sufficiently ancient that even I am getting rid of it..... :-}

I have a SPARCstation 5/170, as well as a 5/110 (the latter of which
has been sitting, powered off, on a shelf for the last several
years, to act as a "cold spare" in case the 5/170 developed problems.
I also have a couple of those 20" or 21" (I forget) Sun-badged Sony
Trinitron CRTs -- again, one was a spare.  I believe I also have a
box of Solaris 2.6 server installation media (which is what has
been running on the machine).  I'm not sure I recall (or want to
spend the time recalling) how to install it, so I'll probably leave
that for the recipient.

[In case some ... younger ... folks are reading this: the SS5 was
a fairly current machinie ca. 1993-1995 or so.  And the "/170" does
represent the clock speed of the CPU, in MHz.]

Oh: the SS5 has a frame-grabber Sbus card in it (among other things).

I should also get rid of the 2 Alcatel ADSL 1000 modems; probably
a few other things, as well.

I powered the SS5/170 off last weekend, and -- so far -- have not
had occasion to power it back up.  Assuming(!) that nothing changes
that pattern in the coming weekend, I'll plan on making final back-up
copies of the data and wiping the disk drives as time permits, then
disentangling the hardware from the stuff I'm keeping.

I expect the stuff to be available either the weekend of 07-08 Aug
or 14-15 Aug.  I'm willing to drop it off on the Peninsula, from
San Mateo down to Santa Clara or so.

Please unicast replies to me; there's no need to spam the list with
them.

First come, first served.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.