Stephen Smalley to speak at SVOSUG on Thur. 09/25/08

Alan DuBoff aland at softorchestra.com
Mon Sep 22 22:58:49 PDT 2008

[I redirected this message from blw@ to baylisa@, as I thought the
latter list better matched the subject matter. -- postmaster@]

[*** Jennifer, I can update the page if you want to give me
access per our conversation last week]

This meeting have moved back to the Mansion due to scheduling
conflicts, and if you haven't seen the Mansion before, it's a
great place, built in the Arts & Crafts style in 1915. It is one
of the historical buildings on the Agnew Campus in Santa Clara.

When: Thursday, Sept. 25, 2008
Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Mansion
        (SCA07 just across the road from the Auditorium)
What: Security technologies to confine flawed and malicious software
Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm

You are invited to hear Stephen Smalley, of the US National
Security Agency (NSA), speak on security technologies to confine
flawed and malicious software.

Stephen was instrumental in bringing the Flux Advanced Security
Kernel (Flask) and Type Enforcement (TE) technologies to Linux
through the SELinux project. Flask is a flexible form of
mandatory access control (MAC) that has been gaining popularity
since its introduction in SELinux, SEBSD, and SEDarwin.

Stephen is now involved as a project lead on the OpenSolaris.org
Flexible Mandatory Access Control (FMAC) project that is
integrating FLASK and TE into OpenSolaris.

Stephen Smalley Bio:

Stephen Smalley is a Technical Director in the Defense Computing
Research Office of the National Information Assurance Research
Laboratory of the NSA.

Mr. Smalley received a 2005 Director of National Intelligence
(DNI) Fellows award for his technical achievements within the
Intelligence Community.

Prior to his work on OpenSolaris and SELinux, Mr. Smalley
performed research and development in the area of operating
system security through the development and analysis on a series
of secure research operating systems. Mr. Smalley received his
B.S. degree in Computer Science and Mathematics from the
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

For additional info please see the following URLs:

OpenSolaris.org Flexible Mandatory Access Control Project Page:

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/fmac/

NSA SELinux Reference:

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

Map to the Mansion:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.393386&lon=-121.955218&zoom=16&q1=4070%20George%20Sellon%20Circle%2095054

We may also have some pizza and sodas. I would like to ask that
people are careful around the antique mission furniture. It's no
problem for us to eat in the mansion, but we try to keep the
pizza boxes in the kitchen, so that the steam and oil doesn't
discolor the furniture.;-)

David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.