Metrics and Monitoring round table - Oct 30

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Fri Oct 24 18:21:51 PDT 2008

For our discussion we will be focusing on a single OS (Unix).  We'll
determine the specific OS by attendees expertise.  Next month's round
table will be on performance tuning, so this will specifically be about
monitoring/metrics.  I'm sending some of these questions to the group as a
whole to start some discussions about monitoring/metrics.

Why do you monitor?  Do you have different consumers to your monitoring
solution? (execs, customers, oncall staff)  Who do you monitor for?
How do you choose what to monitor?  How do you not affect what you are
monitoring?

In your role, can you influence the developers of the application you are
supporting (is it inhouse software or external)?

How do you prevent bad activity from bringing down the service through
monitoring?

Are there standards? best practices? Any recommended books?

What tools are available?

disk, memory, cpu, network - Does virtualization change anything?

Is there a standard way of breaking down an application to monitor it?
What methods are in place to automate the monitoring structure?  How do
you monitor a service that is provided to an external customer, and
provide the customer with a mechanism to view the monitoring?

What is page-worthy?  Critical vs simple error?  When should something
wake you up, or disturb weekend activities?

Jennifer