NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 03/27/2008

bill at wards.net bill at wards.net
Thu Mar 20 12:00:08 PDT 2008

   |Date:    |Thursday, March 27th, 2008                           |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |

  James Burgett, ACCRC

   The Alameda County Computer Resource Center (ACCRC) is a non profit
   organization which provides free electronics recycling. James will be
   speaking on the topic of giving computers to the needy through the
   diversion of machines from the waste stream and the difficulty of placing
   free hardware in a world that was trained to expect zero-sum economic
   behavior ("If it's free then something must be wrong with it"). He will
   discuss the recent installfest (350 machines assembled), including lessons
   learned and plans for future fests.

   James Burgett founded the ACCRC, Alameda County Computer Resource Center,
   to essentially make money off of equipment that other people thought was
   obsolete garbage. Thirteen years later he*s reformatted, refurbished and
   donated thousands of computers to folks who might not ever have the chance
   to own one. The ACCRC offers workshops on how to refurbish and reuse
   junked equipment and how to install and use the open source OS Ubuntu
   Linux which is free for all. Saving valuable equipment from the landfill,
   James explains, is not exactly profitable for the California Electronics
   Recycling Initiative, which encourages recyclers to mine and grind parts
   rather than refurb for reuse.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp at penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members at penlug.org
	announce at penlug.org
	sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk at lists.balug.org
	baylisa at baylisa.org
	svlug at lists.svlug.org
	svevents at yahoogroups.com

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.