Software to keep track of patch panel connections?

Robert Harker harker at harker.com
Wed Mar 12 13:01:25 PDT 2008

Brent Chapman wrote:
>    Labeling both ends of all cables with a unique identifier, but
>    not what it's currently used for (because that will inevitably
>    change, and the only thing worse than no label is an incorrect
>    label).

I whole heartily agree with this.  When you do an install and label
everything according to what it is, it looks great, really professional.
But six months later as equipment has moved and cables have been
repatched, you can no longer trust the label.  In my experience
cable relabeling is done just about as consistently as document updates.

>    Using easy-to-change physical cable management systems, like
>    clips and velcro, rather than hard-to-change systems like
>    cable ties, so that it's easy to "do it right" (see the above
>    2 points).

A product I have found to be really great is a gardening product made by
the Velcro company called "Plant Ties".  It is green, 1/2" wide with
velcro front and back.  The really great part is that it is less than
$5 bucks for a 45 foot roll.  Cut off a length that is 2 or 3 times the
circumference of the cable bundle you are wrapping and wrap it around.
It is cheap enough you don't feel guilty using too much.  I have seen
a black data center equivalent, but I like the green stuff because it is
thinner so you don't get a bulky velcro ring around the cables.  I have
also used long lengths with 6" to 10" overlap to hold equipment in place
while putting in screws.  I used to be able to find it at Home Depot,
but the last few times I checked, I could not find it.  It might be
seasonal.

Just my 2 cents.
RLH