[PenLUG] TONIGHT: PenLUG meeting 07/24/2008 (fwd)

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Thu Jul 24 12:49:32 PDT 2008

Forwarding on for interested parties.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:00:08 -0700
From: bill at wards.net
To: members at penlug.org
Subject: [PenLUG] TONIGHT: PenLUG meeting 07/24/2008

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

    |Date:    |Thursday, July 24th, 2008                            |
    |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
    |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
    |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
    |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
    |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
    |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
    |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |

   Robert Scott, Alpaca

    Although Linux has all of the necessary tools to do networking, including
    gateway devices, it is missing a comprehensive configuration utility to
    stitch it all together. At the end of the day, networking in Linux is
    hard, and we thought it was time for a change. We wanted something that
    was powerful, easy to use and looked good. We wanted to make open source
    networking sexy. Thus, we embarked on a journey to unite both classical
    and romantic beauty by marrying some of the most powerful tools in Linux
    Networking with some of the most celebrated web technologies. What emerged
    was the *Untangle Net Alpaca* -- a new open source networking utility that
    presents a consistent, reliable platform for setting up a wide range of
    networking tasks, including PPPoE Management, NAT, Redirect, Packet
    Filtering, Bridging, DNS, DHCP (dnsmasq), and more.

    At this talk, we will go through the design and function of Untangle Net
    Alpaca and demonstrate how you can use it to easily provide network
    services at the gateway.

    Robert Scott is a keyboard operator at Untangle. He is a passionate member
    of the Free and Open Source Software community with over 10 years of Linux
    experience and dedicates some of his time to developing an Open Source Car
    Stereo at cadvium.net. He enjoys working in a wide range of languages and
    development environments. He graduated with a degree in Computer Science
    from Harvard University in 2002.

RSVP

   Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
   people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp at penlug.org if you
   are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

   For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
       http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
       http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
       http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

   Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
   to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
   phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
   (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

   See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
 	members at penlug.org

   Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.