TONIGHT: PenLUG meeting 02/28/2008

bill at wards.net bill at wards.net
Thu Feb 28 17:37:53 PST 2008

   |Date:    |Thursday, February 28th, 2007                        |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |meeting 7:00 - 9:00 PM, social/networking until 10 PM|
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                             |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                    |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                               |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                            |

  Thomas Belote, Wireless Mesh Networking

   As a grad student at SJSU, Thomas has worked on Wireless Mesh Networking
   and Mobile Ad Hoc Networking. The talk will compare solutions like OLSR
   and Microsoft's sorta open source Mesh Connectivity Layer (though it
   doesn't run on Linux). He will discuss why WDS is not sufficient and a
   mesh protocol is needed, and discuss the lack of openness thus far in
   802.11s even though it is included in the OLPC, as well as security issues
   that I am still currently researching.

RSVP

Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp at penlug.org if you
are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
    http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
    http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

CARPOOLING & TRANSIT

Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
(best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

See www.penlug.org for more information.